Job title: Social Media Intern
Reports to: Marketing Coordinator
Wage Scale: $10 an hour/Academic credit available
Schedule: 10 - 15 hours per week
Under the direction of the Marketing Coordinator, the Intern develops and implements marketing strategies to gain greater brand awareness for PENCIL and community participation. These strategies will likely be very diverse, but will primarily include social media, videography, storytelling and one-on-one communication.
Some specific recurring tasks will include:
- Assist in the creation of content for all PENCIL channels including social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram), website and Newsletter ensuring broad reach of all pertinent stories while maintaining efficient balance of information vs asks
- Encourage and manage regular interactions and engagements on all social media channels
- Research new marketing techniques and social trends to help advance partnership and volunteer recruitment, recognition and interaction
- Manage the frequent creation of video and photo collateral to give visual representation of PENCIL’s message
- Identify potential partner, student and volunteer stories and capture it in creative writing to help showcase PENCIL’s work
- Support development activities through sponsorship outreach, event preparation, content creation, etc.
The over-arching goal of this position is to raise awareness and enhance PENCIL’s brand to increase impact and provide more direct services to MNPS students. The Intern will spearhead social media engagement and the advancement of telling PENCIL’s story through all stakeholders (partners, community members, volunteers, students, teachers, etc.). Qualities that will benefit the intern are listed below:
PENCIL’s Team Values:
- Social media savvy
- Attention to detail
- Ability to problem solve, set and accomplish goals, and meet deadlines
- Ability to engage and draw out stories
- Ability to creatively articulate stories through writing and videos
- Curiosity about programs, partners, staff, MNPS
- Build successful relationships with local media outlets and other communication partners
- Performs other functions as assigned.
Our work is guided by the needs of Metro Nashville Public Schools, is student centric, and is achieved through partnerships and tangible engagements.
As the PENCIL team, we will:
- Be collaborative and transparent
- Act with integrity
- Demonstrate kindness and gratitude
Environmental Conditions & Physical Demands:
- EDUCATION – pursuit of a bachelor’s degree in Marketing, English or related field
- SKILLS –
- Creative with proven ability to problem solve, set and accomplish goals and meet deadlines
- Organized and able to keep accurate and detailed documentation
- Basic computer skills are essential, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and databases, as well as advanced knowledge of current and up-and-coming social media platforms. Familiarity Adobe Suite and video editing is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to work independently and proactively without daily instruction is critical but must display teamwork and conflict resolution skills.
- EXPERIENCE –
- Creating brand awareness via social media, press releases and print materials
- Experience with and interest in creative writing and storytelling.
- Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily administrative nature.
- The employee is required to talk and hear and must physically be able to travel.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee is required to stand, walk, climb and balance.
Regular office hours are flexible around classes with preference for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday availability between 10 AM and 2 PM. Occasional evening and weekend work may be necessary for special events.
This job profile is not intended to be all inclusive of tasks required, it is to provide a general description of essential job responsibilities.
PENCIL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter
. For consideration, all materials must be received by 5:00 PM on Sunday, April 21, 2019